I Am Dedicated To Seeking Justice For My Clients

  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Victims’ Rights
  4.  → Victims’ Rights FAQ

Answering Frequently Asked Questions About Victims’ Rights

At Kircher Law, LLC in Maineville, I represent victims of sex crimes, sex abuse and civil rights violations throughout the state of Ohio. With over 30 years of experience as a practicing attorney and with 20 of those years dedicated to advocating on behalf of victims, I have extensive experience seeking justice for victims in civil court. As a victims’ rights attorney, I know and understand that if you were the victim of a crime, you probably have a lot of questions.

Here, I answer some of the most commonly asked questions about victims’ rights. For answers to your specific questions, I offer prospective clients a free initial consultation.

What are victims’ rights?

In the state of Ohio, the Victim’s Bill of Rights, also known as Marsy’s Law, specifically states certain rights for crime victims. Some of these rights are automatic, others have to be invoked and requested. Rights for crime victims include:

  • The right to notice for court hearings
  • The right to be present and be heard at any court hearings
  • The right to be informed about a convicted criminal’s release or parole

If you are a victim of a crime and you believe that your rights are being violated by the Ohio court system or law enforcement, I am a civil rights and victims’ rights attorney who can help make sure that your rights as a victim are protected.

As the victim of a crime, can I get restitution or compensation from the criminal court?

Under Marsy’s Law and the Victim’s Bill of Rights, victims of crimes have the right to be compensated for economic damages after the defendant is found guilty. The Ohio Crime Victims Compensation Program provides up to $50,000 in compensation for damages and loss.

If I am compensated through the Ohio Crime Victims Compensation Program, can I still file a civil lawsuit against the defendant for damages?

Yes. The restitution funds from criminal court do not necessarily cover all of the damages a crime victim sustained. Therefore, receiving funds and compensation from the criminal court proceedings does not preclude a civil action against the defendant or a negligent third party for damages.

Schedule A Free Legal Consultation

I understand that if you or someone you love is the victim of a crime, you probably have a lot of questions about your rights as a victim. I offer free initial consultations so that I can answer any of your questions and tell you more about how I can help you with your case. To schedule your appointment, call me, attorney Konrad Kircher, at 888-725-0811 or send me an email through my website form.